We are seeking a motivated, intelligent individual to work with our networking and systems administration teams in our data centers in NYC and NJ. The position is a combination of data center rack and stack, networking and Linux systems administration. This is a hands-on position where the individual will be challenged to deliver high quality work in a dynamic environment.
- Work as a support resource for different groups within technology, including the systems administration, developer and network engineering groups.
- Travel to different data centers to troubleshoot issues, install, configure, and monitor new and existing equipment.
- Be responsible for the overall data center security, organization, documentation, safety, cleanliness and supplies.
- Suggest alternatives and improvements to current processes when there are better alternatives.
- Coordinate logistics of shipping/receiving server, network and telecommunications equipment.
- Rack, cable and provision servers and networking equipment.
- Maintain inventory for cabling, optics and network equipment.
- Perform hardware maintenance on rack mounted servers.
- Measure, install, dress and label copper and fiber cabling.
- Work with carriers on installation of services.
- Troubleshoot server issues with senior system administrators.
- Troubleshoot network issues with senior network engineers.
- Troubleshoot equipment failures, install and configure replacements.
- Ability to work evening and occasional weekends.
- Supervise vendors and trades when they are in the data center doing work.
- Self-driven, independent individual.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability of analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of network operating systems, Linux and Windows.
- Basic knowledge of data center best practices and cabling methodology.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and climb ladders to install cabling and equipment.
- Ability to upgrade code of networking devices.
- Ability to terminate copper/fiber cabling.
- Upgrade firmware and BIOS settings of servers.
- Ability to test and troubleshoot dark fiber connectivity.
- Basic Bash/Python scripting experience.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a Data Center environment; racking & stacking equipment and cable management.
- Familiarity with Dell, Cisco, Arista, Ciena, Corning, and/or Ortronics products.